SPD Detective Bureau Investigation Leads to An Arrest from a May 12th Shooting
Springfield, Mass. — On Tuesday June 14th at approximately 10:25 a.m. members of the Springfield Police Warrant Apprehension Unit, U.S. Marshals Task Force, VFAS State Troopers and Hampden County Sheriff’s Department arrested 28-year-old Axel Gomez on the 200 block of the Dwight Street Extension on an arrest warrant related to a daytime shooting.
Around 2:10 p.m. on May 12th, Springfield Police Officers responded to the intersection of Temple and Maple Streets for a ShotSpotter activation. Shortly after an adult male gunshot victim arrived at Mercy with serious, non-life threatening injuries.
The Springfield Police Detective Bureau under the direction of Captain Trent Duda began investigating. Detectives identified Gomez as the suspect. On May 13th Detectives requested and were granted a warrant for his arrest. Gomez was apprehended Tuesday morning.
28-year-old Axel Gomez of Springfield is charged with:
- Arrest Warrant
– Firearm – Armed Assault to Murder
– Attempted Assault & Battery with a Firearm
– Carrying a Firearm without a License
– Carrying a Loaded Large Capacity Firearm on a Public Way
– Discharging a Firearm within 500 Feet of a Building
– Firearm Violation with 3 Prior Violent/Drug Crimes
– Malicious Destruction of Property