SPD Officers Seize Loaded Firearm after responding to ShotSpotter Activation
Springfield, Mass. — On Wednesday January 19th at approximately 2:00 p.m. officers responded to the 0-100 block of Belmont Avenue for a report of a ShotSpotter activation. As responding officers were attempting to gather information and speak with potential witnesses an individual, later identified as Justin Stack, got into a car and quickly reversed nearly striking an officer.
As officers were speaking to another potential witness Stack got out of the car and began walking towards the officers. Due to Stack’s behavior officers detained him pending an investigation. Stack then began reaching for his waist band. Officers then were able to locate a loaded firearm in Stack’s waistband and he was placed under arrest.
During a search of Stack’s car officers located shell casings, ammunition and crack-cocaine. Stack has previously been convicted of firearms charges in both Hampden and Franklin Superior Courts.
The firearm was reported stolen out of Vermont.
33 year old Justin Stack of Springfield is charged with:
- Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License – 3rd Offense
- Discharging a Firearm within 500 feet of a Building
- Possession of Ammunition without a FID Card
- Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (3 Counts)
- Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Resisting Arrest
- Possession of a Class B Drug
- Receiving Stolen Property More than $1200 – Subsequent Offense