Springfield Police Officers Seize Firearm after Suspect with a Small Child in his Car Allegedly Shot an Occupied Car after a Road Rage Incident
Springfield, Mass. — On Sunday April 3rd at approximately 12:40 p.m. officers responded to the 300 block of State Street for a ShotSpotter activation. Officers located numerous shell casings in the area.
An investigation revealed two vehicles were involved in a road rage incident and a minor collision occurred. The driver of one car, later identified as Juan Franco, is alleged to have shot at the second vehicle with two occupants inside. The car was struck with gunfire.
Officers then located Franco’s car on the 800 block of Main Street and conducted a traffic stop. Officers detained Franco, his passenger and removed a four year old child from the back seat.
Officers then located a firearm inside the car and Franco was positively identified as the person who fired the gun.
40 year old Juan Franco of Springfield is charged with:
- Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License
- Carrying a Firearm without a License
- Attempted Assault & Battery with a Firearm (2 Counts)
- Discharging a Firearm within 500 Feet of a Building
- Malicious Damage to a Motor Vehicle
- Reckless Endangerment of a Child
- Leaving the Scene of a Property Damage Crash