Springfield Police Officers Seize Loaded Firearm after responding to a ShotSpotter Activation
Springfield, Mass. — On Tuesday May 31st at approximately 2:20 a.m. Springfield Police Officers assigned to Squad A recovered a loaded firearm and arrested 28-year-old Jaime Griffin on the 0-100 block of Randall Place.
About twenty minutes earlier officers responded to the 200 block of Allen Street for a ShotSpotter Activation. Officers found evidence of shots being fired and located a suspect on Randall Place. Officers detained the suspect, identified as Jaime Griffin, and located ammunition in his pocket that matched what was located on scene. Officers then located a loaded large capacity firearm capable of holding 14 rounds of ammunition nearby. Officers placed Griffin under arrest.
While in the back of the cruiser Griffin’s behavior became very erratic and he admitted to swallowing a large amount of drugs prior to the arrest. Griffin was transported to Baystate for treatment. A booking photo will be available once he is transported to SPD Headquarters.
28-year-old Jaime Griffin of Springfield is charged with:
- Carrying a Firearm without a License – 2nd Offense
- Convicted Felon in Possession of a Firearm
- Discharging a Firearm within 500 Feet of a Dwelling
- Firearm Violation with 3 Prior Violent/Drug Crimes
- Improper Storage of a Large Capacity Firearm
- Possession of a Large Capacity Firearm
- Possession of Ammunition without a FID Card