SPD Officers Seize Firearm, Arrest Alleged Shooter Thursday on Fort Pleasant Avenue
Springfield, Mass. — On Thursday December 16th at approximately 1:50 a.m. Springfield Police Officers responded to a ShotSpotter Activation on the 0-100 block of Fort Pleasant Avenue. Upon arrival officers attempted to speak with an individual, later identified as Luis Rodriguez, due to his proximity to the ShotSpotter activation. Rodriguez became non-compliant and combative and was detained pending the investigation.
Additional officers then located an adult male gunshot victim. Officers provided first aid and he was transported to Baystate with non-life threatening injuries.
While responding to the gunshot victim, officers located, secured and seized a firearm in the area where the shooting occurred.
An investigation led to the positive identification of Rodriguez as the shooter. He was placed under arrest.
32 year old Luis Rodriguez of Springfield is charged with:
- Carrying a Firearm without a License
- Assault & Battery with a Dangerous Weapon (3 counts)
- Assault & Battery with a Firearm
- Discharging a Firearm within 500 feet of a Building
- Malicious Destruction of Property more than $1200 (2 Counts)
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Threat to Commit a Crime ( 2 Counts)